Drug Drop Box
When prescription medications are taken incorrectly or abused, substantial health risks are involved. Rates of prescription drug abuse are continuing to rise and studies show that abused drugs are often obtained from family members or friends, and are often taken from home medicine cabinets.
Proper disposal of prescription medications can help prevent drug abuse by decreasing the availability. Prescription medications should not be flushed down the toilet or thrown in the trash. Studies show that these methods pose environmental risks, especially to our drinking water. When medications are expired or no longer needed, you can dispose of them at your local drug drop box sites located on the right side of this webpage. These drugs will then be handled by law enforcement, leading to the ultimate proper destruction.
With the growing concern for misuse of prescription medication and water quality, we are proud to announce that Fond du Lac opened the first 24/7 free standing permanent drug disposal site in Wisconsin on November 11, 2008.
Do Not Drop:
- Sharps(needles, syringes, lancets, Epipens, etc) Sharps Disposal Information (pdf)
- Hazardous, mercury or chemical waste products
- Commercial, business or long-term care deposit
- Unused and/or expired medication
- Over the counter medication
- Prescription medication
The box is monitored and maintained by the Police Department.
Remove pills from the original container and place them in a sealed "ziplock" style bag before placing them in the Drug Drop Box. Empty pill bottles may be disposed of in your home recycling. Liquid medications should remain in original bottles.
Thank You To Our Many Community Partners
- Leadership Fond du Lac (an Association of Commerce program) - Development of the permanent site
- Manowske Welding - Design, Construction and Material
- City of Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac County and United Way - Financial support for safe disposal of collected medications
- Agnesian HealthCare and Aurora Health Center - Financial support and time donated by local pharmacists for sorting medication
- City of Fond du Lac Police Department - Ongoing compliance with DEA regulations and daily operation and security of the Drug Drop Box
- Other area businesses - Donations to the creation and maintenance to the permanent site
©2009-2013Copyright Drug Free Communities Task Force
Our mission is to decrease substance abuse among youth and adults in our community.
Wisconsin website design by BrownBoots Interactive, Inc.